Hone Your Writing Basics provides emerging young writers with the basic tools they need to start writing compelling stories. Focussing on taking your child through the rudiments of prose writing, this course will ensure they are well-positioned to tackle the challenges of the creative element of Key Stage 2 with aplomb. All areas, including plotting, story-boarding narratives, character creation and the effective use of literary devices, will be covered. There will also be a practical section, which will encourage children to apply the skills they have acquired in written tasks and stimulating exercises. We do not cover SPaG (spelling, punctuation and grammar) on this after-school course, for a SPaG extension, please check our Saturday club where sessions are longer in duration.
In every session the children get the chance to put their knowledge to the test by responding to a writing prompt, encouraging them to apply the skills they have acquired in written tasks and stimulating exercises. Our workshops strongly encourage creative thinking, avoiding limits such as the ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to use the imagination. As a result, there is no direct marking system - but we do review your child’s work during each session, providing verbal feedback and further guidance on developing ideas/ storyline structures/ descriptive devices. Your child will also receive written feedback upon their completion of the course.
Autumn Term 2018: Hone Your Writing Basics (Years 3, 4), Thursday (St John’s Notting Hill, 16:30)
- Term: Autumn Term 2018
- School Year: Year 3, Year 4
- Duration: 10 weeks
- Start / End Dates: 20 September–06 December 2018
- Half Term Dates: 22 October–04 November 2018
- Time: 16:30 - 17:30
- Venue: St John’s Notting Hill Church of England, Lansdowne Crescent, London W11 2NN
- Notes: Copyright © 2018 by Chelsea Young Writers Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction or distribution in any form of all or part of the course materials is prohibited., Terms: please note that by making a booking through our site you agree that you have read, understand, and accept our Terms & Conditions and you agree to be bound by these.