Do you have a story with brilliant characters, a thrilling setting but aren’t sure what to do next? Are you constantly bored with movie plots thinking you could write something even better? Whether your dream is to be a best-selling author or write thrilling fan fiction, ‘Bring On the Plot!’ is here to help you put your brilliance on to the paper (or on to your laptop). Aimed at budding writers aged 13-16 who want to take their storytelling skills further, ‘Bring On the Plot!’ course will study how to craft a complex plot.
In a small and friendly environment of peers, under the expert eye of a creative writing mentor, you will be looking at creating a story from start to finish – developing ideas, setting planning, considering point of view, creating characters and settings, structuring plot and narrative, experimenting with style, perfecting dialogue, exploring endings. You will learn to build tension and insert conflict, as well as creating an authentic world in which your story will unfold.
You will have total freedom on the choice of a genre and a theme. Feel free to explore any subject that interests you or that you are working on at the moment. Alternatively, we are happy to help you decide on a theme or genre if you feel stuck!
A small group setting of only 8 students per group will allow you to focus and interact constructively with your peers, and your writing tutor who will be providing guidance, advice and individual feedback.
At the end of the course you will receive individual written feedback from your course leader highlighting your strengths and areas to further improve.
We believe that you are the keeper of amazing stories and this course will help bring them to reality. As you give time and effort to grow your creativity, you will find your confidence, characters and plots will grow with you.
By end of ‘Bring On the Plot!’ course you will be able to:
- Understand different ways original ideas can be generated for a story.
- Understand how to write authentic characters, dialogue and setting, identifying what works and what doesn’t work as well.
- Use imagination and sensory details to create suspense and intrigue – avoiding cliché, sentimentality or melodrama – and demonstrate increased competence in writing varied sentence structures.
- Adhere to a story plan in writing, arranging the ideas purposefully and coherently within time-sensitive conditions.
- Understand how stories are structured with rising action, climax and falling action.
- Demonstrate an effective method of revision, checking over your own work for correct vocabulary, use of descriptive devices and overall fluency of the narrative.
- Listen to and apply any constructive criticism received.
Holiday Club: Bring On the Plot. Teen Writing Camp (13-16 Yrs) – London
- Age Group: 13-16 Yrs
- Duration: 5 days. 15 hours.
- Time: 10:00-13:00, Doors open 10 minutes before class. Early arrivals please wait to be invited by CYW staff to check in
- Venue: St John’s Notting Hill Church, Lansdowne Crescent, London W11 2NN
- Notes: All materials provided, Bring your own snack and drink for break time. All snacks must be nut free, Copyright © 2019 by Chelsea Young Writers Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction or distribution in any form of all or part of the course materials is prohibited
- Terms and Conditions: By making a booking through our site you agree that you have read, understand, and accept our Terms & Conditions and you agree to be bound by these, Cancellations received less than 30 days before the start of the program are not refundable
Sold outSelect Options