29th August–1st September 2023. Summer 11 Plus English Exam Preparation Course & Mock Exam (Y5) – Notting Hill
The Summer 11 Plus English Exam Preparation course is aimed at children entering Y6 in September 2023. Children will be learning and practising key comprehension and composition skills by working on a range of texts from 11 Plus English exam papers.
As part of this summer course, students will learn and practise a range of key skills, among which:
- A range of new exam techniques, including key terminology and how to approach different exam paper styles and formats.
- To develop reading and writing skills for comprehension and composition.
- To focus on reading for meaning and selecting appropriate textual evidence to support points.
- How to interpret analysed reading material in written form.
- Strategies for answering questions in a timed exam environment.
- Writing creatively for assessment.
- Interpreting 11+ creative writing questions imaginatively.
- Techniques for creating interesting beginnings.
- How to build and describe a character and develop plot and structure for time-restricted scene-writing.
- Ways to expand written vocabulary.
- How to write for specific purposes and audiences.
- How to build confidence and develop long-term skills in reading and writing.
11+ English Mock Exam (Day 4; 10.00-11.15am only)
As part of the course, students will take a 75-minute mock exam on Friday The exam will take place under exam conditions to give students a realistic experience of an 11+ exam. The 11+ English mock test will cover a number of formats, including written comprehension, multiple choice, and creative writing exams. The results of the mock exam will be used by our team to provide parents with predictive information regarding their child’s potential in the 11+ exams and how they compare to other students in the running for different schools. This will enable parents to better understand the skills their child needs to develop in the coming months to prepare for their target school exams.
- School Year: Year 5 (entering Year 6 in September 2023)
- Start / End Dates: 29 August–1st September 2023
- Time: 10:00-13:00
- Duration: 4 days. 9 hrs lesson time + 75 min mock exam
- Location: St John’s Notting Hill Church, Lansdowne Crescent, London W11 2NN
- Notes: Bring your own snack and drink. All snacks must be nut free. Water bottles should be labelled with your child's name and must not be shared.
- Terms and Conditions: By making a booking through our site you agree that you have read, understand, and accept our Terms & Conditions and you agree to be bound by these, Cancellations received less than 14 days before the start of the program are not refundable