Holiday Club: 24–28 June 2019. The Whole Story. Escape from the Workhouse! A Victorian Diary– (8–12 Yrs)
Day after day, the same humdrum life. My hands are blistered and my feet are cold! Don’t even get me started on the food – a lump of heavy grey slop twice a day is as good as it gets around here. My friend Lal found a bit of gristle in her slop the other day, and you’d have thought she’d won the lottery! The matrons are cruel, and the work is never ending. It’s lucky I have my friends, I suppose. One day, we’ll make it out; I can feel it in my bones. I wonder what life would be like outside the workhouse…
Victorian England: a time of good graces, polite etiquette, glamorous parties, and sumptuous food – for some. We’ll be writing ourselves into the narrative of some of the most unfortunate people in the Victorian era: workhouse children. Can you put yourself in the shoes of an orphan, forced to work in dismal environments in exchange for the most basic living conditions? How would you keep positive? In our diaries, we will take a step back in time to craft a compelling character, driven to escape the workhouse with their friends and start a new life. What will their escape plan be? How will they keep it a secret from the strict workhouse masters and matrons? Once they have made it out, will they stick with their team of escapees? Or will they seek the dazzling heights of the Victorian London elite?
- Age Group: 8-12 Yrs
- Duration: 5 days. 15 hours.
- Start / End Dates: 24–28 June 2019
- Time: 10:00-13:00, Doors open 10 minutes before class. Early arrivals please wait to be invited by CYW staff to check in
- Venue: St John’s Notting Hill Church of England, Lansdowne Crescent, London W11 2NN
- Notes: All materials provided, Bring your own snack and drink for break time. All snacks must be nut free, Copyright © 2018 by Chelsea Young Writers Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction or distribution in any form of all or part of the course materials is prohibited
- Terms and Conditions: By making a booking through our site you agree that you have read, understand, and accept our Terms & Conditions and you agree to be bound by these, Cancellations received less than 30 days before the start of the program are not refundable