Holiday Club: 17–21 June 2019. The Whole Story. Mini-Me: Big Problems! – (8–12 Yrs)
You are dreaming. In your dream, shapes and colours all around you seem to melt and expand; you feel like you are sinking. It’s not an unpleasant feeling – until, all of a sudden, you feel a heavy weight bare down on your whole body. You wake up with a start – but the heavy weight persists. Is this a kidnapping? You manage to scrabble out from underneath, and look around, hardly believing your eyes. This was not a kidnapping. In fact, you are still laying in your own bed – your own, gigantic bed! Somehow, you shrank over night. At first this seems like fun and games (ever swam in a glass of chocolate milkshake?), but then the inevitable questions arise: why has this happened? Who else has this happened to? And can we trust the big folks any more?
In this workshop, writers will be imagining a large-scale problem in the world through a small-scale lens. Being shrunk overnight might initially propose moments of hilarity and some awkward situations, but our writers will learn to examine the wider consequences of this unexpected issue. Will there be a pattern to who is being shrunk? Who or what is behind the shrinking? In order to discover the secrets behind the miniaturisation, we will craft a team of heroes and adventurers. Will the little folk band together to reverse the effects of miniaturisation, or can they trust the big folk enough to form a mixed group of allies? No matter how they proceed, young writers on this course will learn to write with empathy, wit, and action-packed pacing.
- Age Group: 8-12 Yrs
- Duration: 5 days. 15 hours.
- Start / End Dates: 17–21 June 2019
- Time: 10:00-13:00, Doors open 10 minutes before class. Early arrivals please wait to be invited by CYW staff to check in
- Venue: St John’s Notting Hill Church, Lansdowne Crescent, London W11 2NN
- Notes: All materials provided, Bring your own snack and drink for break time. All snacks must be nut free, Copyright © 2020 by Chelsea Young Writers Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction or distribution in any form of all or part of the course materials is prohibited
- Terms and Conditions: By making a booking through our site you agree that you have read, understand, and accept our Terms & Conditions and you agree to be bound by these, Cancellations received less than 14 days before the start of the program are not refundable