Holiday Club: 12–16 August 2019. The Whole Story. Fierce Female Characters: Amelia Earhart – (8–12 Yrs)
You’ve always felt more at home in the air than with your feet in the cloud. When you told your friends that you wanted to be a pilot, they told you that your head was in the clouds. ‘If only they could see me now!’ you thought, with the wind whipping at your hair as you soared in a small plane thousands of feet above the ocean. With your head in the clouds was exactly where you wanted to be…
This series of workshops will concentrate on one strong woman from history in particular: Amelia Earhart. Earhart set numerous flying records across her life: in 1922 she became the first woman to fly above 14,000ft; in 1932 she was the first woman (and second person ever) to fly across the Atlantic Ocean; in the same year, she was the first woman to be awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, and became woman to fly solo across the United States without stopping; in 1935, she became the first person to fly solo from Hawaii to the USA. On her second attempt to be the first ever pilot to fly around the world, however, Earhart disappeared. She had completed 22,000 miles of the flight, and had just 7,000 miles to go when she disappeared without a trace. No crash site or bodies have ever been discovered, and there are numerous theories about her fate. As such, it is up to our young writers to continue the story of Amelia Earhart. Did she survive? And if so, how?
- Age Group: 8-12 Yrs
- Duration: 5 days. 15 hours.
- Start / End Dates: 12–16 August 2019
- Time: 10:00-13:00, Doors open 10 minutes before class. Early arrivals please wait to be invited by CYW staff to check in
- Venue: St John’s Notting Hill Church of England, Lansdowne Crescent, London W11 2NN
- Notes: All materials provided, Bring your own snack and drink for break time. All snacks must be nut free, Copyright © 2018 by Chelsea Young Writers Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction or distribution in any form of all or part of the course materials is prohibited
- Terms and Conditions: By making a booking through our site you agree that you have read, understand, and accept our Terms & Conditions and you agree to be bound by these, Cancellations received less than 30 days before the start of the program are not refundable