Holiday Club: 18–22 February 2019. The Whole Story. Meeting with Frankenstein – (8–12 Yrs)
“His limbs were in proportion, and I had selected his features as beautiful. Beautiful! Great God! His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun-white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips.” – Frankenstein, Mary Shelley.
The car wheels crunch on the gravel as you grind to a halt. Tentatively, you step out from the back seat and breathe in the freezing air. It is so cold; it hurts your bottom teeth, so you pull your scarf up over your face so that only your eyes peer out over the top.
The driver hands you your suitcase and without looking back gets into his car and drives off, leaving you alone on the driveway. You turn and stare up at the crumbling castle. Gargoyles are just visible in the moonlight. Their distorted faces seem to leer down at you. You shudder and hurry towards the huge oak door. Where, as instructed, you knock three times.
You’ve been waiting for this moment for months. You’ve heard the rumours about strange inhuman creations that lurk these grounds and now, finally, you get to find out the truth.
Join us as we explore the themes of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein. Create your own impression of a Frankenstein monster as we craft classic gothic tales and explore themes such as ambition and the pursuit of knowledge; the perception of beauty; conflict; friendship and revenge. Your only limitation is your courage.
- Age Group: 8-12 Yrs
- Duration: 5 days. 15 hours.
- Start / End Dates: 18–22 February 2019
- Time: 10:00-13:00, Doors open 10 minutes before class. Early arrivals please wait to be invited by CYW staff to check in
- Venue: St John’s Notting Hill Church, Lansdowne Crescent, London W11 2NN
- Notes: All materials provided, Bring your own snack and drink for break time. All snacks must be nut free, Copyright © 2021 by Chelsea Young Writers Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction or distribution in any form of all or part of the course materials is prohibited
- Terms and Conditions: By making a booking through our site you agree that you have read, understand, and accept our Terms & Conditions and you agree to be bound by these, Cancellations received less than 14 days before the start of the program are not refundable