Holiday Club: 17–21 December 2018. The Whole Story. Let it Snow: A Christmas Eco-Mystery! – (8–12 Yrs)
You wake up with a start, and sit up, sweating and out of breath. You try to concentrate on remembering the dream from which you woke – something about lava? – but, as dreams so often do, it slips away before you can recall what happened. Bright morning sunlight leaks into the room through gaps in the curtains to illuminate a bulging stocking at the end of your bed. You breathe a sigh of relief: it’s Christmas Day! Still feeling a little hot and flustered from the dream, you spring up and draw your curtains to see if any reindeer have left tracks in the snow (coming from a family of ecologists means that nature is always at the heart of your Christmas). What you see makes your mouth gape open. There are no tracks. There is no snow. The two feet of snow that had been accumulating for the past few weeks has completely gone… wait, not gone… is going. The air above the ground seems to wobble and blur as steam, endless streets of steam, evaporates from the tarmac for as far as you can see. No wonder you woke up sweating. Christmas Day has reached boiling point overnight!
Environmental science meets Christmas magic in this festive adventure with a twist! Young writers will be turning up the heat as they unravel an environmental disaster that could change the world as they know it. In their stories, children will uncover clues about what caused the earth to heat up so quickly, and find a solution for reverting it back to a ‘white Christmas’ before it’s too late. Luckily, given the time of year, they know just the man to help them out…
This workshop will be focussing on pacing a mystery story. Underpinned by discussions around ecological and environmental concerns (like pollution and global warming), writers will look to develop a structure and narrative voice that keeps their readers engaged throughout their plot’s twists and turns.
- Age Group: 8-12 Yrs
- Duration: 5 days. 15 hours.
- Start / End Dates: 17–21 December 2018
- Time: 10:00-13:00, Doors open 10 minutes before class. Early arrivals please wait to be invited by CYW staff to check in
- Venue: St John’s Notting Hill Church, Lansdowne Crescent, London W11 2NN
- Notes: All materials provided, Bring your own snack and drink for break time. All snacks must be nut free, Copyright © 2021 by Chelsea Young Writers Ltd. All rights reserved. Reproduction or distribution in any form of all or part of the course materials is prohibited
- Terms and Conditions: By making a booking through our site you agree that you have read, understand, and accept our Terms & Conditions and you agree to be bound by these, Cancellations received less than 14 days before the start of the program are not refundable